bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 298 - What In The World Is a Woolly Pocket?









Creating vertical gardens is growing trend (pardon the pun) in utilizing small spaces and creating living walls. Woolly Pockets have created a clever "container" made from felted material processed from recycled plastic bottles. It also has a protective moisture barrier. I have yet to try one out myself but keep seeing them at places like Molbak's Nursery in Seattle where these picture were taken. Let me know if you've used Woolly pockets and what you think!

I know I keep talking about Molbak's like it is the next best thing to sliced bread, but it really was an incredible nursery. My friends Katie Elzer-Peter and Kylee Baumlee show me the money as they check out at Molbaks - it is a plantaholics dreamland. We're blaming Alison Conliffe for this delightful addiction.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At August 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Gavin said...

A friend and I tried something similar to this on our fence this summer. Almost everything we planted wilted and died. Things we learned: 1Make sure the plants weren't meant to get big (our pepper plant was the first thing to go.)2Constant Kansas summer sun was too much. 3Fasten it securely. The wind knocked it off twice. 4A plastic shoe holder wasn't meant for growing plants (they didn't hold water well, the soil washed out.)

 
At August 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM , Blogger shannonseibel said...

This would be a great gift for my sister! She has a smaller back yard with an area that would be perfect. Thanks for the post.

 
At August 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM , Blogger Shauna Nep said...

I love living walls! I have a Woolly Pocket installation in my home, and my bromeliads and philodendron are seriously thriving!! And they are water conserving, which is great. You'll love!

 
At August 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM , Anonymous Shauna A said...

I love living walls! I jumped at the opportunity to try them in my home. I'm not sure which brand you used, Gavin, but I have a woolly pocket installation in my home and the plants are seriously thriving!! I have bromeliads and philodendron in them, it's beautiful. I definitely recommend giving woolly pocket a shot.

 
At August 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Good input, Shauna and Shannon. Gavin - plastic shoe holders?! Give you credit for creative effort on that one. I am eager to see how these would hold up in a hot Tennessee summer. Any Tennessee woolly pocket growers?

 
At August 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM , Blogger BernieH said...

I've seen a plastic shoe hanger holding little pots and all the plants did well. I love these Woolly Pockets. Such a brilliant idea for small gardens or patio areas.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home