bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Friday, January 1, 2016

A Year of Gardens - Day 1

Call me CRAZY but I really liked the challenge of having a daily blog post, especially if it involves something as simple as just posting a picture or a quick tip. Since my blog has been somewhat of a virtual diary for the last few years rather than a serious attempt to "cultivate a culture of gardening", I've decided to go back to my roots (ha-ha) and post a daily picture, tip, or thought on gardening for the next year.

My first thought was to show what was going on in my own garden over the next year, but then realized that I am going to be on the road a whole lot this year. 

  And most of that travel time will put me in other great garden areas that I can post about.
This is my goal: chronicle a year of of the beauty, mysteries, and adventures of gardening in the world around me.  
But I will start with what is commanding my attention today - January 1, 2016. Check out these winter blooming camellias, with the flowering quince blooming in the background.

 Flowering quince Chaenomeles typically is my harbinger of spring in mid-February but is in mid bloom today. With temps going in the mid-twenties for the next week, this plant is going to be confused. 

Bridal
veil Spirea blooming also. 
Welcome to a year of all the things that make gardening such an adventure! 

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At January 2, 2016 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Karin / Southern Meadows said...

I look forward to following your gardening adventures and see your garden grow. I posted for a month one November and it was a lot of work I can't imagine doing it for an entire year. All the best for a healthy and fruitful 2016!

 
At January 2, 2016 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I did daily posts on Facebook of what was blooming in my garden for the last 3 years. It is a great way to chronicle bloom time and growth. I look forward to seeing your posts.

 
At January 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Thanks, Karin, for stopping by the blog!

 
At January 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Janet, surely you need an award for your perseverance! 3 years of your garden would be a rich record.

 
At January 4, 2016 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Beth @ PlantPostings said...

What a beautiful Camellia! I wish we could grow them here in zone 5. Good luck with your daily posts!

 
At January 4, 2016 at 8:33 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

thanks, Beth! with all the hybridizing going on with camellias, there may be one soon that can handle a zone 5.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home