bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Twelve Days of Christmas for Gardeners



Had a little too much eggnog tonight and came up with a new twist for an old song--

You may sing this if you wish:

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
A newly planted tree in my courtyard. (Try a fig tree - "Celeste" is hardy here and doesn't get too big)
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Two gardening books. (Southern Living Gardening Book; Gardening in Tennessee and Kentucky - month by month)
On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
A three-day gardening symposium. (Go with me to Callaway Gardens symposium devoted to gardening in the south - www.callawaygardens.com - fantastic program!)
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Four gardening magazines. (Garden Gate; Horticulture; Fine Gardening; Tennessee Gardener)
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Five golden arborvitae. (Thuja orientalis - 'Golden Globe')
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Six poinsettias to grow indoors. (Don't overwater them!)
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Seven bags of tulips. (You can keep planting until Dec. 31!)
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Eight bags of daffodils. (Plant them in an area where they can multiply in the years to come)
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Nine gardening tools. (Cobra-head, Felco pruners, Hori-hori knife, long-handles pruners, gardening shears, short shovel, rake, gloves, garden bucket)
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Ten bags of soil conditioner. (woodland soil mix for your shady areas, 'Erth food', compost to amend soil)
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Eleven more bags of soil conditioner. (I never buy enough the first time)
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Twelve days of yard work. (Use some of those days for clean-up, shrub, tree, and bulb planting and save the rest for next spring!!)

2 Comments:

At December 8, 2009 at 7:21 AM , Blogger janie said...

All very practical gifts, too. I have told my family I want manure in bags, compost by the truck load, and mulch the same way. Really, it is a very small cash outlay, as the manure is the only thing they would buy. The compost comes from the cotton gin, who will load it free, and the mulch is free from our county brush site, who will also load it free. They are required to unload it, however.

 
At December 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a gift of manual labor! Thanks for stopping by the blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home