bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Monday, July 12, 2010

Boys, Buffalo, and Beauty

So, I walk in the door returning from Buffalo, hug my teenage sons, and my eighteen year old says, "Did you see some cool plants, Mom?" Now, I know what you're thinking. "No eighteen year old who blanches at the thought of gardening would ask his mother about cool plants as she walks in the door." But my boys know from years of experience that sooner or later they will inadvertently say something that will trigger a passionate dispensation on how the late afternoon light enhanced that hibiscus flower I recently saw that must be the latest hybrid on the market. Therefore, they wisely chose to meet me at the pass, endure the tortuous details that I cannot help but expel, then blithely go on to tell me of their latest high school escapade.

All that to say, while my boys work hard at sounding interested in my plant passions, I save pulling out the photo album for those who know the difference between a petunia and a passionflower. These are some of my favorites plants that I saw during the tour of gardens last week in Buffalo.
Buffa10 389
Rudbeckia Cappuccino

Buffa10 393
Shasta Daisy Aglaya, Leucanthemum 'Aglaya'

Buffa10 426
I don't think this Hydrangea could get any pinker! (At the home of Elizabeth)

Buffa10 402
Monarda and Asiatic Lily

Buffa10 428
Wish I knew which rose this was!

Buffa10 533
We rarely see Delphenium as blue as this.

Buffa10 512
This purple Astilbe was incredible flanked by blue hosta and shasta daisies.

Buffa10 511
Loved these colors!

Buffa10 543
Japanese Maple leaf and Hydrangea macrophylla normalis

Buffa10 713
Echinops banaticus ‘Blue Glow’ turned Pink Glow under the tent at Brian and Gordon's home.

Buffa10 699
Echinops as it should be.

Buffa10 591
And this was just the first day!

Labels:

13 Comments:

At July 13, 2010 at 7:10 AM , Blogger Joseph said...

Lovely photos Barbara! When I saw the pink echinops I about FREAKED -- then I saw your explanation of why it was pink and remembered the red tent. Wish there was a ACTUALLY pink one.
It was wonderful meeting you this weekend!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 7:42 AM , Blogger Commonweeder said...

I've been looking at all your beautiful photos - and wondering why I didn't take a picture of that - or that - or that? Even though I took nearly 1000 photos over our Buffalo stay. I guess it is just a way of explaining to everyone how many beautiful sights there are in Buffalo!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boys are well trained, indeed. Great fun meeting you and sharing the experience of Buffa10.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that shasta daisy, wonder if it won enough flags to be introduced, assuming it was at the marina trail gardens. So good to meet you and look forward to showing you my garden for real! :-)
Frances

 
At July 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM , Blogger water said...

I'm really enjoying your blog and pics!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM , Blogger The Redneck Rosarian said...

Your rose looks alot like Queen Elizabeth.

 
At July 14, 2010 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Susan aka Miss. R said...

I really enjoyed getting to know you in Buffa10. Your plant portraits are beautiful. I'm a big picture kind of gal so it's nice for me to see someone with an eye for plants.

 
At July 14, 2010 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Gail said...

HI Barbara, It was a treat to finally meet you! Maybe we can meet at the Franklin Farmers Market for coffee one Saturday~soon! I wanted the name of that shasta~Thank you! It was a beauty and several venders sell it! Gail Btw, lovely images!

 
At July 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM , Blogger EAL said...

That is an Abraham Darby rose, from David Austin. I know this because it is mine--I recognize my brick wall and stone foundation behind it. It is so cool to recognize images of your garden on blog posts written far far away.

I am feeling such withdrawal from losing you all! This helps.I highly recommend Abraham. He blooms all summer and gets quite tall. I tie lilies to the branches for support.

 
At July 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, it was a lovely time to see new plants and share observations with other gardeners. I didn't 'see' what you did, but it's always fun to share what was most interesting.

Glad your boys are willing to 'humor' your plant interests-- I'm imagining that they'll be gardeners in homes of their own some day.

It was delightful to get to know you (a bit)!

Lisa

 
At July 17, 2010 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Commonweeder said...

I thought that was an Abraham Darby rose. I am quite familiar with it because I have killed it three times. Or at least my winters and fierce winds have killed it. I love that rose! I gave one to my daughter who lives in a slightly milder climate and it did so well, climbing all over her porch that she ripped it out! She and her husband like to keep things neat and controlled. Not the look in my garden.

 
At July 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Thank ya'll for stopping by the post! Glad to find out about the Abraham Darby rose.
Pat: I think I need to have a little chat with your daughter.... Once she lives a few more years she'll realize that very few things can be truly interesting if they are always neat and controlled. :)
Gail and Frances: Check with Ruth at Mouse Creek nursery about that daisy. That picture is from the front yard of one the houses we saw that Thursday evening on North Pearl street. The name should be listed under the picture and it's been around for several years. And we've have GOT to get together here for Chihuly at night!
Loved meeting everyone last week.

 
At August 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger tom sheepandgoats said...

My wife and I loved this show. (and wrote a post about it) Completely changed our image of Buffalo. Here we are in Rochester, only an hour away, and we knew nothing of Buffalo gardens. Well worth the trip, and good for you, hauling the boys along. There were far more females than males, we thought.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home