bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 151 - Happy Days Are Here Again


It's been a long winter but I have enjoyed the opportunity for hours of planning, ordering plants, working on designs, fine-tuning budgets... ok, maybe not that last part. But I do those things because they are necessary. This week I got to start doing the really fun part, the part where I smell the raw earthy scents of fresh bags of potting soil and fresh tilled earth, where I zone into my happy place so much so that sometimes clients walk outside and say, "We have leftovers from our supper. Do you want some?" Yesterday I got to replant 17 planters for a new client who had several big events coming up at their home. The challenge at this time of year was finding plants that provided color and texture, could handle a few more freezes, offered low maintenance for a homeowner who didn't have time for tending to a lot of pots, that will continue to bring interest over the next few seasons, and that I could find available on the heels of winter.

So here are a few of the plants that I got to play with yesterday:


I moved some of the more interesting glazed planters over to this more visible spot.

A standard Loropetalum is bedded down with clove-scented Dianthus, Stachys, dwarf Gardenia, and variegated Ivy.

Blue Spruce collared by Firepower Nandina and Color Guard Yucca.

I reused this Gold-edge Yucca with some blue sedum to contrast against the red planter.
A close up of the planter holding the Red Twig Dogwood, which hosted Downey Lavender, yellow pansies, and Dragon's Blood Sedum.

I'll give you a peek at some of the other planters on another day :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I always enjoy your blog, thank you! It's still pretty cold in NY but most of the snow is melted and I think I didn't loose any of my "babies". Looking foward to spring! Thanks again!

Kathy
www.mydishwasherspossessed.blogspot.com

 
At March 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Darla said...

Your combinations are so inspiring.

 
At March 3, 2011 at 7:54 PM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Darla and Kathy, y'all just made my day! thanks for stopping by the blog. so much is blooming right now I feel like I could be blogging all day long :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home