bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 224 - A Re-tire-d Planter

I recently received this planter from Flat Tire Decor to trial and report back my thoughts. My first reaction was, "Bravo to someone who is looking to creatively repurpose any disposable product." My second reaction was, "My proper southern momma would shoot me if she knew I was planting anything in an old tire to display at my house." I haven't told her yet.

Comments heard while planting this in the greenhouse: "Cool" "Weird" "Will it deliver itself?" (obviously from a starving comedian) "Great idea" "Interesting" "Where did you get that?" "Can I have one?"

This is actually planted with a small red hibiscus but the bloom is hiding so I added the red car. Also planted with Tiger Eye Rudbeckia and Plum Calibrachoa



Observations - absorbs a lot of heat so not ideal for a full sun location;
this is a cute little planter;
holds water better than I expected;
this is a better use of tire products than the white painted "tire planters" popular in trailer parks and Steve Bender's back yard.

Bottom line: good idea, keep at it!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2011 at 10:46 PM , Blogger BernieH said...

I would definitely use them and put them inside another pot. I think it will be quite some time before I see them in my neck of the woods though.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 10:02 PM , Blogger shannonseibel said...

These would be great in a pot. Love the idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home