bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chihuly at Cheekwood





Chihuly. When I first heard that there was going to be a Chihuly exhibit at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, my first thought was, "Hmmm.... What is a Chihuly?" I make no excuses for being so artistically illiterate, so it took a little googling to discover the breathtaking blown glass artwork of Dale Chihuly. This proved once more to me that I have GOT TO GET OUT MORE! The exhibit at Cheekwood is ethereal- a juxaposition of the vibrant color and immobile lines of the glass with the fluid movement of nature. Go on a cloudy day or at night for whole different experience viewing the artwork. And don't forget to enjoy the flowers along the way.
Orange Chihuly in this bed of Setcresea while the Sphinx looked on gave a mythical air to this display.My co-worker, Yelena Petruk, and I enjoyed a few hours away from work to glean ideas for our Southern Land Company developments. Chihuly in Windstone?!

Pennisetum 'Caroline', Duranta Gold, and Zinnia Cherry flank the pathway to another Chihuly display.

Peeking around the corner of this Hibiscus planting I spied a pond that held this Christmas bulb like Chihuly floating on the surface.
In the Japanese garden the Chihuly takes on an other-worldly feel.I felt like I was spying on a Chihuly secret pow-wow.





This Chihuly called Blue Herons looked different from every angle.

Chihuly 'Sun'

Labels:

5 Comments:

At July 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Yeah, you made it over there! I do love Chihuly and this exhibit is wonderful at night~ I am waiting for a cloudy day to hang out in the perennial garden~that full sun garden is hot! gail

 
At July 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM , Anonymous Helen Yoest @ Gardening With Confidence.com™ said...

Hey Barbara,

Beautiful photos! It was so good to meet you in Buffa10!


I just wanted you to know I added your blog to the soon to be launched North Carolina Nursery and Landscape Association blog roll for NC Blogs!

http://www.tarheelgardening.com/wordpress/

I also wanted to make sure you received my new link for Gardening With Confidence's blog

www.gardeningwithconfidence.com/blog.

Thanks!

I hope you are doing well!

H.

 
At July 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chihuly is from my neck 'o the woods here in the Seattle/Tacoma area! his creations are dreamy. Be sure to check out his installation in Vegas if you ever get the chance.
All I can say about your stunning pics is _WOW!
Thank you

 
At July 23, 2010 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

Oh my word!!! I had no clue and this is amazing. Thank you for making it such a treat to read and view.

 
At July 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM , Blogger eve said...

One word .. Hevean on earth! loved everything. I subscribe to your blog.

leilou67.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home