bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Orchids in My Office



Yesterday I was out to dinner when a sweet lady from one of the neighborhoods that I maintain came by my table to thank me for making her neighborhood so colorful and beautiful all year round. She then asked about my home - wondering if I had such beautiful containers and plantings at my own house.
My husband almost snorted out his iced tea.
Now I discussed this topic a couple of weeks ago in this blog - the shameful agony of my "cobbler's children" containers. I went to the greenhouse this week and with the pleasant weather gathered all the plants I needed to make my late winter containers look incredible so I wouldn't feel so negligent to my little planters (and in case this sweet little lady decided to drive by my house). But then I got an email from my publisher with the first deadline on my book, and the boys had activities they needed me to attend, it rained all day on Saturday, and on and on... so, my planters were still empty.
Yea, I know. I just need to hire myself.




But every once in a while someone does something to help me keep a little beauty in my close up
world to calm the anxious beast in me that works way to many hours doing what I love to do, just at other places than my own home. My husband brought me cyclamen for Valentine's Day. Costa Farms sent me this gorgeous orchid to bring life to my office full of planting schedules, community lot maps, plant catalogs, order forms, stacks for billing, and very outdated pictures of my children.

And last Saturday one of my sons said he would help me get our vegetable garden ready for planting. I think he was just hungry. But a few hours of teenage muscle made a big difference in our readiness to plant. I didn't even mind that he thought taking pictures of me sweating and dirty was a fun way to take a break.


So what exactly am I communicating in this post?
That life sometimes seems out of focus - that I often concentrate on clean, crisp jobs well done in all that goes on in my working world, and that can leave the rest of life a blur. Sometimes the little things - the small flowering orchid in my office, the gift of time to help in the garden - can help bring the priorities of life back into focus.


One down, 17 more to go.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me know that it's just not the home gardner who sometimes looses time! I always enjoy your blog, I hope you let us know when your book will be availble! Have a great Sunday!

 
At March 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM , Anonymous SUSAN HEMANN said...

Hi Barb,

Enjoyed your blog post! My children find it funny to photography me in wonderful situations. Beautiful orchid. I love Stark Bros.I am starting a blog for physically challenged gardeners, so your containers are an inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home