bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 303 - When Chicks Leave The Nest



"I feel kind of like what i would imagine Lewis and Clark felt when they discovered the edge of America and the western shores. Satisfied at where their journey had taken them but overwhelmed by the exploration that remained. Tomorrow is my last day at home before I venture into the pacific.
This was #3 son's facebook quote from yesterday.
Yep, shed a few tears reading that one.
Knowing that he never reads my blog post I won't embarrass him by talking about what a joy he is me, how as he warms my heart with his big hugs and meaningful questions, or how hard today is taking him off to college. But I will honor him by using a container planting that holds a Mahonia - a plant named after Philadelphia horticulturist Bernard McMahon who introduced the plant from materials collected by the Lewis and Clark Expedition. This cultivar of Mahonia is call 'Soft Caress', a newer variety than those which Lewis and Clark found.
And I'm wondering if Lewis and Clark's mommas struggled with their own mother hen instincts like I am today - sending my son out of the nest into the unknown world of college.


(If you thought you were about to read the latest information on poultry farming, I do apologize. I'm just a mother hen who is slowly seeing my chicks leave the nest. Only one left at home now to hen peck.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post. Our last one is leaving for college the end of the month. I have mixed feelings because we really are 3 very different adults living together. But once it settles down around here he will be missed every day.

 
At August 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM , Blogger BernieH said...

It's always hard when your chicks leave home. But that's unfortunately the way it should be. It's just that empty nest syndrome seems to hang on for some time, even though you know it's all part and parcel of life. Now, resist the urge to really pamper the last chick, lol!

 
At August 7, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Blogger barbara wise said...

Thanks Bernie and Karen- It is good to be reminded that this is WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! and #4 son will appreciate your encouragement to me not to hover :).
I am really thankful to have one son who ended up at my alma mater - WAR EAGLE!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home