bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Growing Zone - Day 5


Today was my darling little niece's first birthday, and being the dutiful aunt, I hopped over to the park next to West End Middle School where the big event was to be held. Now, as much as I enjoy hanging out in the jungle gym section taking scads of photos of these precious babies, my eye was drawn to the big spray of blue asters next to the middle school.

As I got closer, I realized that this was a display garden and that the school here had an intentional horticultural and/or ecological program going on.


I wandered past the rain garden to peek around the corner and found a hillside raised garden still crammed with summer's growth of veggies and herbs.


I'm excited about what my little niece will be learning someday in this school if they continue to "grow" this horticultural program and watching her learn about sustaining our world in a responsible and beautiful manner.

But for now, I'll just enjoy watching her eat cake.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM , Anonymous Darla said...

The asters do stand out. Look at the fall color on those trees, just beautiful!.. Happy Birthday to the prettiest bloom posted today. Wish more schools incorporated ideas like this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home